Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Cake Everyone Asks For....

About 25 years ago I made a cake for a family party. It became legend. To this day it is still the most requested cake that I make. My father-in-law would come to our house and simply say..."Make the Cake."

So here, today, I am going to tell you my secret....

                                                                                                            It is not much of a secret. :)

Chocolate Almond Fudge Cake

1 Devils Food Cake Mix (yup, not from scratch)
1 Small Bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Stick of Butter
1 Small Package Slivered Almonds
HomeMade Whipping Cream




Make cake in two round pans according to package direction. Use dental floss or sharp knife to split each layer into two layers.
Over low heat melt chocolate chips and butter being careful not to burn the mixture. Mix in almonds when melted.
Spread mixture over three of the cake layers. One should be left plain for the top layer of your cake. Stack and place top layer...well...on top. :)
Make homemade whipping cream by beating whipping cream, 1 scant tsp vanilla and 2 Tablespoons sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. Spread over entire cake. Serve.

This cake is especially good for breakfast. I don't know why.



Cupcake Version



Now, over the years I have tweaked and played with the recipe and you can too. Make it your own! Add orange extract to the chocolate mixture. Use pecans or walnuts instead of almonds. Try going sugar free by using a Splenda mix. Whatever you like, try it. But do not, I repeat, do not be tempted to use store bought whipped topping instead of homemade. It just isn't as good.

Now you know my secret. Today, for my husbands birthday, I will be making this cake. Hope you all enjoy and have a great day!



Happy Feast Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment